4 March 2010

from russia with love

Top to bottom: Vogue Russia March 2010, British Vogue March 2010, 3 of my favourite Vogue Russia covers from February and March from 2008 and July 2007.

Try to bide my time while waiting in anticipation for the new issue of British Vogue I decided to have a little browse through their cover archives. To my disappointment most of the covers were a little lacklustre, ours are never as eye catching as the Russians or as sexy as the French. Although I love Alexa dearly I thought even her cover last month was a bit naff; she looked bored and was pulling a really neutral boring pose. This isn't an attack on the photographer Alasdair McLellan, (the rest of the photos from the shoot were gorgeous and I really loved the sultry Julianne Moore cover he did last year) so I have no idea why the cover turned out like it did. Recently I've just been less and less impressed with our Vogue covers. They never look ugly or bad, its just they seem to be lacking that something, that 'edginess' that other magazines like i-D seem to have. That thing that makes you gasp with glee or has you in awe of the models sheer beauty or makes you think about fashion in a differeny way. It's been a while since a British Vogue cover has made me excitability hurry over to the till so I can rush home and obsess over the editorial for days after.

Maybe more avant-garde/highly stylised type covers aren't what British Vogue readers want? I mean they put Cheryl Cole on the cover so that must say something... Who knows many I'm just a tiny minority and I'm being overly fussy. What do you think?

Do you like British Vogue covers? Or do you think they need a change? Which countrys Vogue does the best covers?

My fingers are crossed for the April issue!
xxxx

8 comments:

Leia said...

I don't read vogue but I like these covers!

Stephanie said...

I love that very first cover. And my life basically revolves around waiting for the next British Vogue to come out once I devour the current one.

xx
theotherchic.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I love VOGUE, and the cover of Abbey Lee the most.
x Laura
stylecoaching.blogspot.com

Bookworm Bitch said...

hmm i totally agree, it is so plain. i lurve the floral one and the first one. i noticed your blog on Flying Saucer and just wanted to say u have a great blog xxx

Ashley said...

I'm with you, the only thing that excites me about Alexa's cover is her shoes. The Vogue Russia covers are much more enticing!

And thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog, I really appreciate it :) It made me feel so much better when I read it. Thank you!

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

When it comes to metallic high heels, Christian Louboutin Flatsmany women only think of evening shoes. It's understandable, given that gold, silver, pewter, and bronze are all great choices for making an entrance at a more formal event.

But, if you love metallic shoes and tend to save Jimmy Choo Shoesthem only for special occasions, then you may want to rethink your strategy: metallic high heel sandalsJimmy Choo Boots can work as well for day wear as they do for evenings. Of course, there are some caveats. For one thing, evening shoes are still evening shoes -- too glamorous, and they'll be out of place for most daylight events. Save those red-carpet-type picks for real special occasions.

On the other hand, if you come across a pairJimmy Choo Pumps of high heel sandals that, in any other color, you'd wear with your favorite shorts, jeans, skirts or dresses, and those shoes happen to be offered in metallic finishes, then don't shy away from them. Instead, remind yourself how versatile gold, silver, and other metallics are, and then use them to dress up your favorite casual outfit, or to take any slightly-dressy outfit to a whole new level. Jimmy Choo SandalsFor example, these particular sandals would look great with skinny jeans and a tank, but they'd also look fantastic paired with your favorite little black dress.

Coach Outlet Online said...

Coach outlet online Leading American designer and maker of luxury lifestyle handbags and accessories.Large market in Europe and Canada,UK,USA etc.Welcome to Order!2011 New Style arrive,Free Shipping!

Coach Factory Outlet said...

These bags are prepared with the help of shiny black leather and silver buckles, which convinces the customer at the very first sight. This Coach Factory Outlet is not only gorgeous but also durable.